Monday 19 May 2014

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang.

I should not exist. But I do.
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .
For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

Why?
This book caught my eye ages ago but I put it off until I finally picked it up from my library and just dove in!

What I loved:
Concept and Plot~ Two souls in one body is such a mind blowing concept. It was so well explained and thought out. I enjoyed the background to Eva and Addie as well as getting to see other hybrids. It was so interesting to see how clearly Kat had differentiated between two souls. I liked that hybrids who did wish to be cured were included as they present another point of view and opinion. I did find the facility quite creepy with it's unknown injections and experiments but sadly realistic. The plot itself was full of engaging conflict, action and drama, which made it very hard to put down. I also appreciated that major details about hybrids etc. were repeated so you never got confused!
Addie/Eva~ I loved how different and well characterised each girl was. I didn't always feel that Addie was the more dominant as she was often slow to react to situations without Eva's urging. I loved how she had remained loyal and dedicated to Eva and was willing to risk her nice life for Eva to experience something new. I liked Eva, her point of view showed a lot of self reflection and determination. I loved reading her with Hally and Ryan and seeing how her personality came across outside of her mind. Both Addie and Eva have such a keen sense of right and wrong as well as courage to stand up for others that they make the book so easy to read.
Side Characters~ I loved the extra depth added to the series through the side characters, especially as the two minds tended to isolate Addy/Eva until Hally and Ryan.Looking forward to more on Kitty, Jackson and Ryan.
What I Didn't loved:
Adults~ I found the adult characters very disappointing! Addie and Eva's family especially, their Mum didn't seem too bothered about them once the government offered them a trade! The higher facility staff treated the teenage hybrids as if they were somehow to blame for remaining hybrid when they clearly had no control over it and treated them like animals!


Rating!
What's Left of Me is a unique and clever dystopia with brilliant characters and an engaging plot. I look forward to more!

What are you thoughts on What's Left of Me?
I've got Once We Were on my bedside table ready to pick up where this one left off!
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book, great review!

    ReplyDelete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!