Tuesday 11 September 2012

Matched by Ally Condie


Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

 
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


I picked up this book over a year ago- didn't click with me and my workload at the time!
A year later I loved it! Took me awhile to get this review up!
 
What I loved:
  • Society- I liked the set up, how controlling it was while the people were oblivious. I Obviously I wouldn't want to live with the Society but it was a good dystopia setting!
  • Sorting- Sorting was such an intellectual version of courting which seemed both old fashioned and futuristic! I liked the idea that everyone had one perfect match and you didn't even have to search for them!
  • Xander- I really liked him- he was a very layered character! He was highly competitive, loyal and law abiding . But he was also very perceptive and observant much more so than Cassia initially. I liked how he helped out Cassia and Ky irregardless of the situation. Good solid male character with value and flaws!
  • Family- Cassia's family were so close it was touching! The sacrifices her father made for her Grandfather, the bravery and silent defiance of her grandfather and the familial loyalty of her mother. Even her brother was defiant in his own way. I think they showed how even the 'perfect' family could silently defy the Society.
What I didn't love as much:
  • Romance- It might have been because I didn't connect with Ky but I just didn't feel much chemistry between Cassia and Ky. Not enough to warrant the risks they both took for one another. I'm hoping I'll get into in Crossed.
  • Officials- They were like an army of stalkers so controlling but at the same time controlled themselves. It was very creepy- which I suppose dystopian society always is!
  • Death- The way the Society 'took care' of old people at 80 was sinister. Especially as I have a lot of relatives over 80-  the idea of the goodbye banquet isn't too bad but the systematic killing? Sinister!
I loved the society but I didn't really connect with the passion- still a good read!
Crossed and Reached are on my Autumn TBR- I decided to read them together as I hear Crossed ends with a cliff hanger!
 
Did you enjoy Matched? Have you read Crossed?

Much Love!
Lettie
xxxx

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that Matched had some good things going for it, but some not so good ones as well. I liked your pros and cons kind of review too!
    Crossed, I didn't really like, less than this one actually, but I'm hoping Reached is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the review style! I find it easier to lay out my thoughts.
      I'm glad I'm holding off of Crossed now!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I never thought of cassia's and ky's romance that way before. but your right! they weren't connected enough to really convince me. And the officials...they were so creepy... anyways, i love your blog! great reviews! i already bookmarked this page for future reads!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and bookmarking my blog! :D

      Delete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!