Friday 29 August 2014

The One by Kiera Cass (No Spoilers!)

THE SELECTION changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. Now, only one will claim Prince Maxon’s heart…
It’s swoon meets the Hunger Games in the third instalment of THE SELECTION series!
For the four girls who remain at the palace, the friendships they’ve formed, rivalries they’ve struggled with and dangers they’ve faced have bound them to each other for the rest of their lives.
Now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.
America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown – or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realises just how much she stands to lose – and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.

I loved The Selection and The Elite. so I've been patiently waiting for The One!
I've had to do one of my love/hate reviews as I want to keep it as concise and spoiler free as possible!
What I loved:
Sisterhood- I loved how the sisterhood camaraderie Queen Amberley has with the previous Selection really took hold with the remaining girls. They definitely started to see themselves as a family rather than rivals and I loved how they started to share their true opinions with each other.
Twists- The One had so many twists it was a roller coaster! Some were tragic, some intriguing and some seemed so obvious afterwards. I loved how surprising and riveting this book was.
Triangle- I was initially put off this series by the idea of a love triangle however I think Kiera made it more than other love triangles. Neither Maxon or Aspen 'won' America or completely wrote themselves off. I loved that America didn't feel she had to pick one of them either, she could simply go home alone!
America- America grew more confident and compassionate throughout the series. I found her to always be fair and just, I loved how she encouraged the people to stand up for themselves not to hide away. Again I did find her frustrating because she had decided on who she loved ages ago but just wouldn't say!!
Maxon- Just continued to surprise me! I loved how attentive he was to each of the girls and how he thought out each move he made. After the revelations of The Elite it was interesting to see how he interacted with his father, he could have been more outspoken at times but Maxon is a quiet strength. As the book went on you could see glimpses of the King he would become.
Celeste- I couldn't stand her in the previous books but in The One she really opened up to America and the other girls. I liked how she admitted and apologised for all her sabotages. I grew to love her tenacity and her new found friendship with the others made the sisterhood lovely. I especially loved her friendship and support of America.
Rebels- I felt like I finally understood the difference between the Southern and the Northern rebels and I enjoyed all the twists and turns they provided.
The book had a huge climax at the end but I was left with questions about the rebels and their motives.
Side cast- America's family were all lovely and individual, I loved getting to know them better. America's bond with her father explained were she got her belief in equality and justice. I spent the whole book highly suspicious of Kota! He was just so rude and harsh to everyone. The maids were great companions and I enjoyed their interactions with America, Aspen and Maxon. I especially liked how devoted they were to America, for her kind personality rather than out of duty. Maxon's parents were so different from each other. The King was increasingly controlling and aggressive towards America. He didn't seem to understand that Maxon would be King after him and held a lot of important information back. Queen Amberley on the other hand was absolutely lovely. She was very maternal and supportive as the number of girls left diminished. I'm so glad she's getting her own novella.


The perfect end to a great series. However Kiera Cass has announced more Selection! The next book is called The Heir so I think it's safe to say this book was the perfect end to America's journey as a self aware champion for the lower castes. I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and I've already been rereading it!

Did you love The One?
Look out for my upcoming series review!
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!