Tuesday 18 February 2014

Mini Reviews: Reveiw Copy Cleanup Edition!

 
The Only Exception by Magan Vernon
 
Fiercely liberal Monica Remy prefers to blend in. Despite her tattoos, piercings, and outspoken personality, she transferred to Central to escape—before she finds out that her next door neighbour is the uber conservative governor's son, Trey Chapman.
No matter how hard she tries to avoid Trey, he still finds a way to get under her skin. Monica can’t stand his crisp white shirts or his staunch views on women. But she can’t help counting every freckle on his face and wondering what it would feel like to have him stop talking politics and kiss her.
A class debate project forces the unlikely pair to work together, and the political lines are blurred in late-night make out sessions. But despite their fiery chemistry, Trey’s politics threatens to smother their relationship for good.


Thoughts!
I really enjoyed the political aspects of this book. Although as I'm British I did find it hard to follow at times and the issues surrounding contraception completely went over my head. I liked Monica and how direct she was with her thoughts and actions especially with her roommate at the very beginning! I also found her very brave and resilient despite the circumstances. I really liked Trey as a character, he was such gentleman and respectful of Monica with their political difference. I think sometime his politics clouded his actions. Trey's family were refreshingly uncliched despite their political beliefs they were welcoming and friendly towards Monica. I really enjoyed the epilogue and how it wrapped up loose ends and showed how Monica fitted into the Republican family!
Rating!
I enjoyed the politics and the chemistry between Monica and Trey!
 

 Hearbeat by Elizabeth Scott.
Life. Death. And...Love?
Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.
But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.
Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.
Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?
Thoughts
This book had such a deep and controversial core issue, it definitely humanised an issue and situation that is often showcased in the media with little attention to the people involved! I admired Emma as she was at the centre of this difficult situation and I think I identified with her as an only child of a single mother. I think she struggled to remember how things had truly been before the accident and also to have faith in Dan. It was hard for her to move on as her mother though technically dead was still there so she'd had no closure through a funeral or anything. It also made her a spectacle  at school, people were confused with how to deal with her. Olivia however was such a supportive and open friend who tried her best to be there for Emma which at times couldn't have been easy! I loved her side story with Roger and her techy parents! Caleb had his own background which I enjoyed learning about and understanding. I liked how he and Emma related to each other and how their friendship/relationship grew throughout the book
I wasn't too keen on Dan, I felt like he and Emma didn't really take an time to figure out their relationship without Emma's mum and he didn't quite understand how to reassure or relate to Emma after the accident.
I loved the journey Emma went on during the book as she dealt with her grief, anger and confusion and struggled with her relationships but ultimately started to repair her relationships, express herself better and say goodbye.

 Rating
 
Believe by Erin McCarthy
 Robin used to be a party girl… until she got black out drunk and woke up in bed with her best friend's boyfriend. Now she's faced with being THAT girl, and couldn't be more disgusted with herself. She can't even tell her friends the reason for her sudden sobriety and she avoids everyone until she meets Phoenix—quiet, tattooed, and different in every way that's good and oh, so bad…
Phoenix is two days out of jail when he meets Robin at his cousin's house, and he knows that he has no business talking to her, but he's drawn to her quiet demeanour, sweet smile, and artistic talent. She doesn't care that he's done time, or that he only has five bucks to his name, and she supports his goal to be a tattoo artist.
But Phoenix knows Robin has a secret, and that it's a naïve dream to believe that his record won't catch up with them at some point. Though neither is prepared for the explosive result when the past collides with the present…
 Thoughts
I really enjoy this series but I wasn't too keen on Robin before I read Believe. In less than a chapter I was completely taken in by Robin and Phoenix! Robin was a lot less confident than she had seemed through Jessica and Rory's eyes especially after the incident. It was refreshing to read about 'THAT girl' from a different perspective and to see  how Robin reacted and felt in regards to it. I think at times she blamed alcohol to heavily for the incident. I loved Phoenix, he seemed like such a cliché bad boy but turned out to be a sweet boy who lived a clean life according to his convictions. I admired how hard he worked and I enjoyed his banter with his cousins. The way he pursued Robin and saw the real her was just what they both needed! Once again great chemistry and a fresh relationship. I also enjoyed seeing how the group's dynamic changed and grew in this instalment and seeing them from the more outsider view of Phoenix. I'm looking forward to next book already!
 Rating
I love this series and each book is just an fresh and passionate as the last!
 
Related reviews:
 
Three great books- thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read them!
 
Have you read any of them?
Can you recommend any other Elizabeth Scott books?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!