Tuesday 25 February 2014

Taking Something by Elizabeth Lee.


 

I know what you’re thinking. “You were such a jerk, Nick!” Believe me, I know I screwed up the best thing I had going in my life, but that was kind of my thing. I’d learned how to run cons before I could even form complete sentences, and I’d always been selfish. But I changed. Lila forgave me, my brother and I were getting along, and I was trying to make a name for myself in the music world.
At least that was what I was trying to do when I negotiated my way into the recording studio with pop superstar Sadie Sinclair. I thought it would be a piece of cake—charm my way into her heart and into her record label’s good graces.
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, I got mixed up in a web of lies, manipulation, and deception. A web that had me questioning my motives and desires altogether.
Was the fame and
fortune really worth the price?


Thoughts 
Give Me Something has been on my TBR for ages so I jumped at the chance to read Taking Something! I did occasionally feel like I was missing some background knowledge but overall it read well as a stand alone. I found the characters to be well developed and unpredictable. Nick surprised me as a character, he was much more dedicated and hard working than I expected. I loved how charming and persuasive he could be to further his career. Nick's pitch and his subsequent working relationship with Westwood really showcased these qualities in Nick and was a great way of introducing his character. His relationship with Sadie was not what I expected which was different and made the book much less predictable, even if Nick was a bit naïve in starting the relationship! I expected a more polished sweet pop star than Sadie who was high maintenance and highly selfish. Gia, who wasn't even mentioned in the blurb, turned out to be one of the most secretive characters right up until the very end of the book! I liked her integrity and loyalty, even if it was misplaced! Landry was my unexpected favourite, I found him witty and industry smart! I liked how he reacted to all the twists and turns of his life and how he befriended Nick.  The plot was complex and well thought out. I assumed it would be your usual boy meets famous girl story but it was much more complicated and layered than that. I enjoyed discovering all the character driven twists throughout the book.  

The characters were well developed and uncliched and the plot was clever and surprising! I hope to see more books in this series and will be picking up Give Me Something soon!

Have you read this series? Do you recommend Give Me Something?
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!