Monday 29 September 2014

Mini Reviews: Summer Edition!








Two great books that just screamed summer read to me!

Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols
Tia and Will’s lives get flipped upside down when they’re voted Yearbook’s Biggest Flirts.Tia just wants to have fun. She’s worked hard to earn her reputation as the life of the party, and she’s ready for a carefree senior year of hanging out with friends and hooking up with cute boys. And her first order of business? New guy Will. She can’t get enough of his Midwestern accent and laidback swagger.
As the sparks start to fly, Will wants to get serious. Tia’s seen how caring too much has left her sisters heartbroken, and she isn’t interested in commitment. But pushing Will away drives him into the arms of another girl. Tia tells herself it’s no big deal…until the yearbook elections are announced. Getting voted Biggest Flirts with Will is, well, awkward. They may just be friends, but their chemistry is beginning to jeopardize Will’s new relationship—and causing Tia to reconsider her true feelings. What started as a light hearted fling is about to get very complicated…

Thoughts
I really enjoyed Dirty Little Secret so I was intrigued by this Superlative series. I loved this book actually started before they were named Biggest Flirts. Tia was loud, confident and quite flirty. I liked how she contacted with Will straight away even if she'd completely misread him. Tia's family backstory explored a lot of her more abrasive personality traits like her aversion to love and relationships and her intense dislike of responsibility. I would have loved to see more interaction with her Dad as he remained a mystery! I loved how everyone in her life was aware of her little tricks to avoid responsibility despite the fact she thought she was hiding it so well. Will was an exciting character from the start, I loved that Tia misread him so we learnt about him slowly. I felt for him moving for senior year especially as all the positions he wanted/needed for College applications were taken up. Will was however a little desperate to have a relationship as soon as he arrived in Florida and made some questionable choices! I absolutely loved the dynamic and chemistry between Tia and Will, it made the whole book for me. Their chemistry seemed effortless and they just feel quite naturally into an almost couple like state. Their responses to their titles was funny as they were so blatant all the time! I felt like Will's straitlaced and open personality went well with Tia's free and complex one. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series!



Right of Way by Lauren Barnholdt
Here are Peyton and Jace, meeting on vacation. Click! It’s awesome, it’s easy, it’s romantic. This is the real deal.

Unless it isn’t. Because when you’re in love, you don’t just stop calling one day. And you don’t keep secrets. Or lie. And when your life starts falling apart, you’re supposed to have the other person to lean on.

Here are Peyton and Jace again, broken up but thrown together on a road trip. One of them is lying about the destination. One of them is pretending not to be leaving something behind. And neither of them is prepared for what’s coming on the road ahead…


Thoughts
Two Way Street was the first Lauren Barnholdt book I read so when I heard this was a vague companion book I knew I wanted to read it! I love a good road trip contemporary romance! Peyton surprised me, I usually dislike overly emotional leads but I loved Peyton. Sure she was whiny and dramatic but she was funny with it. Her family life had changed and when you're a teenager that is the worst thing that can happen to you especially what we learnt about her Mum. Peyton wasn't afraid to chase and commit to big abstract dreams even when they seemed to be falling apart, I admired that about her if it was a bit naïve. I loved the history between Jace and Peyton, it was realistic and sweet at the same time. I loved Jace especially the chapters from his point of view. He was witty and sharp. I liked how he begrudgingly took care of Peyton was necessary and pointed out her flawed plans. His best friend Evan was hilarious with his wild ideas, I would have loved to see more of him. It was great to get a look at how Courtney and Jordon were getting on and even BJ! I loved their side roles as advisers and examples. Right of Way was a great young adult contemporary summer book! I loved how the issues facing Jace and  Peyton were realistic and not too extreme. I always enjoy Lauren's books so looking forward to Through to You to come out in paperback next summer!
 
Do you feel these books are quintessentially summer books?
Let me know!
Much Love!
Colette
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!