Monday 11 November 2013

A Risk Worth Taking by Heather Hildenbrand.

When 22-year-old Summer Stafford’s parents split halfway through her senior year at college, Summer’s world is rocked. Everything she thought she knew—heck, everything she thought she wanted for her own life—feels like a lie. The truth is love is a risk. And the true kind, the kind that lasts, might even be a fairy tale.
Reeling from the divorce, Summer derails her own future by breaking up with her parent-approved boyfriend and giving up her lifelong plans for a big-city career. She moves back home, business degree in hand. Dad needs her to fill the gaps her mother left behind; Summer needs to find who she is outside of the cookie-cutter life that failed so miserably for her parents.
Ford O’Neal’s future involves one person: himself. He doesn’t have a permanent address and he definitely doesn’t commit. To a place or a person. Raised by hippies, he plans just far enough ahead to secure his next stop, this one landing him at a work-study program at Heritage Plantation where he can grow his own herbal and medicinal creations.
Summer is gorgeous and smart and fun to be with, the perfect way to pass five months. It won’t be love—Ford’s got too many things to accomplish, too many places to go, before he settles down. Yet Summer pulls him in, challenging him to rethink his own philosophy.
When Ford’s five months are up, each of them must decide if love is really worth the risk.

Thoughts
I loved the sound of A Risk Worth Taking but I wasn't too sure it would live up to my expectations but it did!
I really enjoyed the rural setting, I'd been looking for more rural setting since Lost and Found. I loved the isolated small town community, it made for great relationships and familiar routines for the plot development. I liked the farm work community with all the different roles and how well Summer took on her mother's role and slotted in!
Summer was a lot different than I was expecting. I liked that she took her parent's divorce as an opportunity to re-evaluate her own life goals and agenda. It wasn't the most healthy reaction to her parent's divorce but it did take her completely by surprise. As I mentioned I loved her relationship with Casey and with all the other guys on the farm, she slotted back in perfectly. I liked that she wasn't afraid to throw herself back in to farm life and embraced all the dirt etc. I liked her relationship with Ford and how he encouraged her to think and live without her rules and regulations.
Ford was another great character. I liked his outlook on life and his demeanour, he was very free spirited, however I think as he encouraged Summer to take a different outlook, he slowly realised his viewpoint was just as rigid as Summer's. Ford was very perceptive of Summer especially with regards to her initial rejection of his thoughts and outlook, he just kept offering her an alternative viewpoint.
All the side characters were well fleshed out and developed. I absolutely loved Casey, he was such a fun well meaning guy. I liked that he treated Summer like an adult and wasn't overbearing, he knew to just treat her normally and let her figure everything out. I hope to find out more about him like his backstory in a future book!

Rating!
All in all a great New Adult read with well fleshed characters, a plot in which all the characters developed and grew and realistic issues.

Looking forward to more from Heather!
Much Love!
Lettie
Xxx

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for posting! so glad you enjoyed it! tweeting this now =)

    ReplyDelete

I always read and reply to every comment and comment back!
Thank you for stopping by!